Friday, January 8, 2010

House?????









We finally did it. We have been married for 10 years. We have lived in Los Angeles and been apartment dwellers for all ten of those years. We watched ALL of our siblings get married and purchase houses while we were priced out of the market. For people with the Stubblefield/Madsen luck combined (a lethal combo, trust me) it took a global financial crisis to get us into a house, but we finally made it. Home prices in Santa Clarita, a suburb of Los Angeles, were finally low enough for us to be able to afford to purchase a home. If you notice my choice of words, I didn't say that the home prices were low, just that they were low ENOUGH for us to get into the market. We have quit our apartment managing gig and moved to the 'burbs.
The past two weeks in our new home have been the freeest of my married life. For the first time, I don't have a paying job. When the phone or doorbell rings, I know that there is an excellent chance that I will actually want to see or talk to the person at the other end. The only people I have to answer to are Rachel, Allie and Jackson, my new bosses.
Every time I pull into a store, I find a parking space that is actually close to the store. I haven't been in a traffic jam once in two weeks. It seems like everyone who lives in this valley is friendly (seriously, everyone standing behind a cash register says "have a wonderful day" when you are finished with your transaction.) People talk to you, smile at you and say "Hi" for no reason. I feel like I am in culture shock.
About 10 times every day Jackson looks at me, puts his little hands in the air in a gesture of questioning and says "Mommy, house?" I then say "Yes, Jackson, this is our new house." Jackson then claps his hands together and shouts "Hooray New House!!" I wholeheartedly agree with Jackson HOORAY NEW HOUSE!

10 comments:

CL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CL said...

Is this Aimee's House or pictures from a Pottery Barn catalog? LOVE, LOVE!

Pyatt said...

YEah New House...my sentiments exactly. You look like you have been there forever...everything is so organized and put together...we are so happy for you guys too!

dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dave said...

No mention of your wonderful brother-in-laws and how they helped you move...I feel slighted :)

dave said...

Dave...such the comedian!

Judy said...

We are going to be driving through next Thursday on our way to a wedding in Escondido. Any chance we could find you home if we stopped to see your new digs? We're so happy for you.

Aimee said...

Aunt Judy, we would LOVE to have you come visit us at our new place! Just let me know what time and I'll make sure to be here.